Nannorrhops ritchiana Seeds
Nannorrhops Ritchiana is commonly known as mazari palm. Its seeds are harvested in the month of October.
It is quite a hardy clumping palm, it can tolerate -12degree centi to -20 Degree Centigrade.
Nannorrhops ritchiana palm is a sole specie in the genus nannorrhops.
Nannorrhops ritchiana (Aracaceae) is also known as Mazari palm wordwide.
- Synonyms: Nannorrhops ritchiana has a number of synonyms such as Nannorrhops naudiniana, Nannorrhops stocksiana and Nannorrhops arabica.
- Originates: It is the sole specie in its genus (Nannorrhops) and native to Southwestern Asia. It is occasionally grow as ornamental plant in Southern Europe and Southern North America.
- Altitude: It grows at an altitude up to 1600 m.
- Hardiest palm: It is one of the toughest and hardiest palm that grows in a shrub form and has several stems growing from single base.
- Height: The plant grows slowly and reaches to 1-2 m tall.
- Leaves: The leaves are stiff and generally maintain an open fan shape. Their leaves are similar to cabbage palm.
- Monocarpic stem: Each stem or branch is monocarpic that means it flower only once and then dies back to produces an offshoot.
- Flowers: The flowers are borne in open clusters at the top of the stem and about 3 m long. They are usually dioecious i.e. male and female flowers borne on separate plants.
- Fruits: The fruits are drupe, edible, brown to orange in colour and contains a single seed.
How to Cultivate Nannorrhops ritchiana
Nannorrhops ritchiana can be cultivate through seeds. The fresh seeds usually takes 3 to 4 months to germinate.
Germination of Nannorrhops ritchiana Seeds
The optimum temperature for germination of Nannorrhops ritchiana seeds should be 25˚C. Store seeds are slow to germinate. The seeds are pre-soak in warm water for 24 hours. This soaking may shorten the germination time. When seedlings become enough to handle, they should be transfer to individual large pots or containers. They should be plant outdoors in late spring or early summer.
How to take care of Nannorrhops ritchiana Seedlings
- Soil: Nannorrhops ritchiana are succeed species of fertile and well-drained soil.
- Exposure: It requires sunny position.
- Humidity: It do not prefer humidity, wet colds and high rainfall.
- Watering: The seedlings rot easily if they are over watered.
- Hardiness Zone: The USDA hardiness zone of Nannorrhops ritchiana is 8-11.
- Cold Tolerance: The seedling needs winter protection cover because they have limit tolerance to cold.
- Drought Tolerance: Once mature, they are highly drought tolerant.
- Deep Root System: These palms has deep root system therefore, they can establish best when plant at young age. Their roots are thick and fleshy therefore, easily damage when transplant.
- Pest and Diseases: Nannorrhops ritchiana are mostly free from pests and diseases but however, the seedlings are susceptible to lethal yellowing and Ganoderma fungus.
- Fertilization: The use of proper fertilizer speeds up the growth of plant.